Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why a Snob?

You might ask, "Why a duck?" I was in an early class with my second teacher (more about teachers later) and was talking about having attended a class at a different school which the teacher called "Holistic Tai Chi." Needless to say, I didn't return for a second class. In telling this story I said something like, "I don't know what that was, but it wasn't Tai Chi'" and my teacher, in good spirit, said, "Oh, Byron is a Tai Chi Snob!" He was refering, I think,  to the attitude found in many martial arts genres that there is one true way to do things (sort of like The One True Religion) and the resultant dictatorial teaching style and student arrogance that it spawns. Point taken. However, it WASN'T Tai Chi! So one of the themes of this blog will be to explore this idea of the perfect form, the best teacher, the "real" Tai Chi in all its pitfalls... and revelations.

No comments:

Post a Comment