Thursday, October 28, 2021

 

 

Tai Chi in the Age of Covid

Well, this being Wisconsin, our sessions in the park along the lakefront have been curtailed by weather and the earlier setting of the sun. Still, in the age of covid, close quarters are not recommended for group practice even though we all (all of us, right?) have been vaccinated against the virus. Therefore, embracing the current age of technology, we meet as dancing electrons on computer screens. In a word, Zoom. As covid closed in on us many venues for Tai Chi found solutions in online instruction. A quick search via Google will yield for you various links. While not as desirable as in-person teaching, it has the advantage over videos which do not allow for two-way conversations. Our group, The International Tai Chi Alliance, is small enough for all of us in our little boxes to fit on the screen simultaneously. The teacher can watch the progress of each student and, with the aid of the more advanced students, split off beginners into “breakout rooms” for individual training. The only difficulty I have found is my own lack of indoor space; my living room is too small to allow for a full-length image of myself. I have my laptop hooked into my large screen television monitor so I get a nice sized view of the class. Yet I wish for a larger space and I am considering rejoining our local health club where there is a big room used for workout classes. They do have wifi and a large monitor. Stay tuned to this blog to follow my future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment