Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tai Chi Light Show --- Photographing Chi!


To see the inspiration for these shots look at my blog entry, "Virtual Volumes." I'm slowly learning the technicalities of the process... been using a digital point and shoot for so long now I've forgotten much of the discipline of good (analogue) photography. I blew the whole first role by not checking the shutter speed and the second roll, as you see here, suffers from not having cleaned the lens (see the spots and the centralized glow from reflections inside the lens.) However, I am happy as a clam with these first efforts.


These multi-colored images are made using a pair of "rave gloves" set to cycle through red, green and blue. The gloves have LEDs mounted at the finger tips and thumb tip. I am doing partial sections of Yang style Tai Chi with the camera in a fixed position.


I think the above shows from Raising Hands through Brush Knee and probably a Push. Next time I will keep some records of which movements are in which shots.



In the shot above I have added a single LED to the toe of each shoe. The sequence includes Waving Hands Like Clouds and Repulse Monkey (I think).


 The above is Sword Form using a single LED at the tip of the sword.


And here I added a second LED on the pommel. I should add that these show the complete Sword Form.


I have to thank my good buddy, Bill Mego for his help in scanning the negatives. I had no luck at Walgreens getting them to figure out how to print the roll and it's just as well. There will be more to come in the future, so 'til then, Buenos Noches and be careful doing Tai Chi out there in the dark!

3 comments:

  1. You did it! Damn U Walgreens. Thnk U Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cool, Bryon!! I love it! Where does one buy rave gloves with the LEDs on the fingertips? Or did you make them?

    Kim Goldberg
    (Nanaimo, BC)

    ReplyDelete